Wednesday, November 30, 2005

In search of the Perfect Hand Cream

I have spent much of my life in search of the holy grail of dry skin sufferers, The Perfect Hand Cream. This is partly for cosmetic reasons, I have to admit. Who likes the look of hangnails and rough skin? Not too many people unless you're making a commercial for a tough guy pickup truck or something of that sort. The other reason is that it just hurts when your fingers crack and bleed and your hangnails catch on sweaters/mittens/blankets that are necessary for the same reason that your hands are dry, cold air.

I have come up with three criteria for selecting The Perfect Hand Cream: effective moisturization, lack of greasiness and a good price. Scent only matters slightly. Its odor cannot be offensive or unusually strong.

Now, I have found hand creams that succeed in up to 2 of these categories. There is, of course, the good old standby, Vaseline petroleum jelly which is both effective and cheap, but you can't hold anything for like 3 hours lest you goober it beyond recognition or watch a glass slip ever so slowly from your grasp. There's jergen's hand lotion, which is cost effective and non-greasy, but it is only slightly effective. There's this L'occitaine stuff that's the shit. It moisturizes for hours. It's also non-greasy. But it's $23.00 per small tube, and it's not worth going into debt for hand cream unless you're a hand model. Then there's hemp hand cream from the Body Shop. This scores moderately high marks in all categories. So far, this is the one I put my money on, but if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

I know I've bored most of you, but if I didn't lose you completely, you probably have enough previous interest in this subject to have some good suggestions for me.

9 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

I cannot believe you just said "that's the shit". You make me smile, all of the time :-)

I feel stupid asking this, but have you tried Neutrogena's Norwegian Formula hand cream? My Nana used to swear by that, but she was old and of the pre-modern times.

You & I should go on a quest to the Woodfield mall to find the BEST hand cream. We can try on hundreds of brands free of charge, and we can go home with excellent, soft skin.

December 01, 2005 1:09 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Andrea should come along too.

December 01, 2005 1:09 PM  
Blogger QueenAtotheM said...

Hey yea she should come!
Although!!! I know the best hand cream!!!

Vaseline Intensive hand care lotion for hands and nails. It's AWESOME! I got their overnight special renewal stuff but it isn't as good as the hand and nail stuff. You try it and see for yourself. Take it from me, the professional dish washer extrodinaire!
:) MMM!!!!!!

December 01, 2005 3:27 PM  
Blogger QueenAtotheM said...

Here, this is what mine looks like:
(how nerdy am i?)

http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/140103/200.jpg

December 01, 2005 3:29 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

what, are you kidding me? You actually put a link to the picture!!!

December 01, 2005 4:05 PM  
Blogger QueenAtotheM said...

why not???!!!
is that lame? HAHAHAHAHA

December 01, 2005 4:48 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I like how we are concerned about finding the perfect lotion . I think neutrogena is okay but a little weird smelling and that vaseline intensive care defintely works and satisfies dry hands.

December 02, 2005 8:49 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Even though this is mainly a female dominated topic. I wanted to throw in that the 2 year old, Ryan, I look after is obsessed with putting on lotion and he likes the dermatologist recommended cetaphil for his dry fingers.

December 02, 2005 8:53 AM  
Blogger Foodie on a Diet said...

Huzzah!! I have two new ones to try (vaseline intensive care and cetaphil) and one to try again after many years (neutrogena). Thanks, ladies and gentleman (Ryan).

December 02, 2005 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home