Monday, December 19, 2005

Sequin

Sequins do not belong on clothing. Plain and simple. They do not belong on purses. They do not belong on hair accessories. They do not even belong on holiday sweaters. There are very few places where sequins do belong. And all of those places have to do with crafts made by or dress up clothing worn by children under 6.

Now, don't get me wrong. I do not hate things that sparkle. I was, in fact, called a ferret once because of always being drawn to things that sparkle. I like a nice sparkly gem. I think good beadwork on an item of clothing is quite nice. I don't even mind the occasional (and I stress occasional) rhinestone trim. I am undecided about glitter. But what would possess a person to adorn themselves or their belongings with sequins?


They are just too loud. They remind me of that episode of Captain Kangaroo where two people are sword fighting on a bridge above some dangerous-toothed animal. The victor wins by shining the other guy in the eyes with his mirror shield and causing him to lose his balance and fall off the bridge. They make me want to shield my eyes.

Maybe it's just leftover frustration from not being able to get the damn sequin to stick to my picture no matter how much glue I used when I was 4. Maybe it brings back bad memories of the sequin-adorned teacher who made us attempt dance salsa in high school spanish class as an excuse to bring her husband to demonstrate how sexy it could be. I don't know what it is, but sequins should not be considered clothing.

5 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

You have just undermined everything I stand for in this world. I think I'm gonna go eat chocolate and wear sweatpants to the cremation of my sequined clothes.

But you have to admit. They are sexy on me.

December 19, 2005 3:29 PM  
Blogger QueenAtotheM said...

ya, you know I am not so sure about this boycott of sequins either. Not that I have a good stash of sequined clothing, but I don't know, I'd like it to still be out there.

December 19, 2005 9:32 PM  
Blogger Foodie on a Diet said...

As opposed as I am to sequins in theory, you do pull it off quite well, Heather.

December 20, 2005 9:04 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

If I can pull it off, I think any 'ol betty could. In fact, Stacy London would agree with me. Which is why I am going to nominate you for "What not to Wear"

........good luck ;-)

December 20, 2005 1:15 PM  
Blogger Foodie on a Diet said...

I guess I think that everyone would be looking at me if I wore sequins, and I wouldn't like that.

What not to wear....haha...That would be interesting. I suppose I would like a $5,000.00 shopping spree. I might be angry if they threw out some of my clothes, though. I'd be the one that stashed a few things away so they couldn't find them.

December 22, 2005 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home