Darn those humbling experiences
I pride myself with being one of those people who can put things together, set the clock on the VCR, use each and every function of an answering machine, fix the settings on a computer, etc., all without the help of an instruction manual. I guess I think I'm an all around technical genius. Not so...
This week I have encountered several very humbling experiences.
#1 After the time change I have been attempting to change the time display on my phone at work. I even resorted to using the manual, and I still cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it.
#2 Clock function number two that I cannot conquer: ever since I have worked at this job, the dictaphone clock has been 50 minutes off. I found it irritating at first, but got used to it. Now, it is 1 hour and 50 minutes off, and I am finding that extraordinarily difficult to deal with.
#3 In an attempt to tape Gilmore Girls on Tuesday night, I decided: #1 Our VCR is broken, #2 Our VCR is not broken, but there is no way to output the image from our TV onto it, so I promptly took the dang machine over to Heather's and had her try (successfully) to tape the show, and then #3 Neither our VCR nor our tv are broken, I just cracked under the pressure of trying to hook up the VCR correctly to our tv, and was just unable to complete the simple task of taping a tv show.
So, goodbye to the idea that I am a technical genius... The only ones who ever thought I was were my grandma (who put the seat of her rowing machine on not backwards, but sideways, a feat that proved almost impossible to reverse), and my mother who, though brilliant in other ways, is only moderately technically literate. I can still put things together like nobody's business, but I can't program a VCR or set a clock.
This week I have encountered several very humbling experiences.
#1 After the time change I have been attempting to change the time display on my phone at work. I even resorted to using the manual, and I still cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it.
#2 Clock function number two that I cannot conquer: ever since I have worked at this job, the dictaphone clock has been 50 minutes off. I found it irritating at first, but got used to it. Now, it is 1 hour and 50 minutes off, and I am finding that extraordinarily difficult to deal with.
#3 In an attempt to tape Gilmore Girls on Tuesday night, I decided: #1 Our VCR is broken, #2 Our VCR is not broken, but there is no way to output the image from our TV onto it, so I promptly took the dang machine over to Heather's and had her try (successfully) to tape the show, and then #3 Neither our VCR nor our tv are broken, I just cracked under the pressure of trying to hook up the VCR correctly to our tv, and was just unable to complete the simple task of taping a tv show.
So, goodbye to the idea that I am a technical genius... The only ones who ever thought I was were my grandma (who put the seat of her rowing machine on not backwards, but sideways, a feat that proved almost impossible to reverse), and my mother who, though brilliant in other ways, is only moderately technically literate. I can still put things together like nobody's business, but I can't program a VCR or set a clock.

4 Comments:
if it makes you feel better, you can grow things. I just killed my last living plant in the apartment.....
I'm glad gilmore girls worked though!
Hell of a Gillmore Girls last week.
No kidding. When's Rorie going to ditch the shallow rich kid and go back to the brooding artist?
At least we're back to the witty banter that makes the show fun.
that's what Heather said after this weeks episode. "Now we can have the witty banter back of Lorilie and Rory." But, from my persepective, as long as Lorilie gets enough face time, even if it's not talking to Rory the show has satisfied this faithful viewer.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home